Re: Firm Timeline for MIPS removal from FreeBSD

From: Philip Paeps <philip_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 05:49:04 UTC
On 2021-10-28 11:08:47 (+0800), Warner Losh wrote:
> Please find enclosed my proposed firm timeline for the removal of mips
> from
> FreeBSD, as previously discussed. There was no opposition to the plan
> when
> I posted before. The major
> users of FreeBSD/mips in the past have mostly moved on and they
> indicated
> no objections
> to the plan. And Adrian has committed his first arm port as well...
>
> So, I propose the following rather quick timeline:
>
> November 1: disconnect from tinderbox / universe. Add notices to
> appropriate manuals and MFC them.
> November 5: Post a review for its removal
> November 15: commit the removal, assuming the review goes well.
>
> Comments?

Do you have a suggestion for when we can remove the mips packages from
the pkg mirrors?  Since you mention MFCing this change, I assume we
should stop building and distributing packages for 12 and 13 too.  How
long should we keep the last package set around for (if at all?)

I ask because I'd rather use the disk space on the mirrors for more
better supported architectures.  While the footprint of mips packages is
trivial in comparison to most others, it's not zero.  And syncing them
across the mirrors takes time too.

Philip

--
Philip Paeps