Re: A new boot-time trace framework

From: Bjoern A. Zeeb <bzeeb-lists_at_lists.zabbadoz.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 17:39:04 UTC
On 10 Nov 2021, at 16:26, Mitchell Horne wrote:

> Unlike TSLOG, I intend for this work to be compiled in to the kernel
> by default, but disabled behind a tunable (kern.boottrace.enabled).
> The cost of doing so should be minimal, only a couple of syscalls
> added to init(8) at most.

I think if you really want to have this on by default (whether that make
sense or not for the majority of people) I’d at least avoid the
function call and reduce it to a branch which is super-easy to do.

My honest feeling is that another of the at least 3 other tracing
mechanisms existing these days be better extended and improved rather
than another one added;  we were always joking about 3 firewalls but if
we keep going this path we can soon start joking about 9 tracing
mechanisms and that will be a major mess for sysadmins.  I can see from
when this work was coming and back then it might have made sense this
way; but more than a decade has passed..

/bz