Re: It's time to kill statistical profiling

From: Ed Maste <emaste_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 15:25:29 UTC
On Sun, 20 Jun 2021 at 17:08, Steve Kargl
<sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu> wrote:

> Are there plans to replace the _p.a with something
> that allows profiling code?  If not, are you upstreaming
> patches to GCC to disable -pg?  AFAIK, 'gcc10 -pg ... -lm'
> causes gcc to look for at least libc_p.a and libm_p.a.

I believe this is how GCC operates indeed, but I'm not aware of the
implementation or specific details. Clang behaves as you describe --
here is all behaviour change based on OPT_pg, from
lib/Driver/ToolChains/FreeBSD.cpp:

    if (!Args.hasArg(options::OPT_shared)) {
      if (Args.hasArg(options::OPT_pg))
        crt1 = "gcrt1.o";
      else if (IsPIE)
        crt1 = "Scrt1.o";
      else
        crt1 = "crt1.o";
    }
      if (Args.hasArg(options::OPT_pg))
        CmdArgs.push_back("-lm_p");
      else
        CmdArgs.push_back("-lm");

and similar for -lgcc_p, -lgcc_eh_p, -lpthread_p, -lc_p, -lc++_p, -lstdc++_p.

This support was initially introduced upstream in:

commit 66f2276aee67738d116d26494d8a78fc6528586b