Re: It's time to kill statistical profiling

From: Ed Maste <emaste_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 16:17:33 UTC
On Fri, 18 Jun 2021 at 03:36, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:

> Instead of documenting stathz, I suggest we retire statistical
> profiling and convert the profiled libraries to code-coverage
> profiling (-fprofile-arcs and -ftest-coverage)

I brought up retiring the PROFILE option to build _p libraries last year:
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2020-January/075105.html
There were a couple of objections in that thread, but if it doesn't
produce accurate data there's little value in keeping it.

> Instead of documenting stathz, I suggest we retire statistical
> profiling and convert the profiled libraries to code-coverage
> profiling (-fprofile-arcs and -ftest-coverage)

Having built-in support for code coverage would be great, but IMO not
done by just swapping the current libraries / build infrastructure /
options over.