configng

From: Kyle Evans <kevans_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 21:40:19 UTC
Hi,

FYI- we're forming a group to look at what the next generation of config(8)
should look like, with the goal of addressing some long-standing issues
with the existing kernel configuration system.

If you're interested in participating in the ongoing design discussion,
please shoot an e-mail to kevans@FreeBSD.org or imp@FreeBSD.org. The
current high-level requirement outline can be found here:
https://hackmd.io/w1Tf8mmVQVuZok7-LNEhgw

The current expectation is that configng will use an entirely different
configuration language, rather than extending what we currently have, and
come with some tooling to aide migration. This will be discussed more
in-depth in later stages; for now, we want to focus on what we want to get
out of the next generation.

Thanks,

Kyle Evans