Re: git: 32137c41065c - main - sound: Retire the version constants
- Go to: [ bottom of page ] [ top of archives ] [ this month ]
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2026 22:28:15 UTC
On Sat, 3 Oct 2026 at 08:49, Jason Harmening <jason.harmening@gmail.com> wrote: > > > On Thu, Oct 1, 2026 at 4:08 PM John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org> wrote: > > <snip> > > >> Hmm, I guess the trick is what counts as gratuitous which is fairly >> subjective. The policy I've tried to follow when refactoring APIs used >> > > I don't think it's quite so subjective. If a breaking change doesn't have > a clear benefit (e.g., improved functionality/ease of debugging, reduced > maintenance burden, even renaming an offensively-named symbol), then > there's a clear cost but no clear benefit, therefore it's gratuitous. > Whether the breakage can be dealt with easily enough using #if[n]def isn't > really the point. > Let me flip it around a bit. How /should/ the module version number be used? Like, what specific thing is it specifically enabling us to do, and how do we do it? I would /love/ to have more stable kernel ABIs, right down to what individual modules expose. -adrian