Re: git: 32137c41065c - main - sound: Retire the version constants
- Go to: [ bottom of page ] [ top of archives ] [ this month ]
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2026 10:34:23 UTC
On Wed Sep 23, 2026 at 10:19 PM CEST, Jason Harmening wrote: > On Wed, Sep 23, 2026 at 2:19 PM John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org> wrote: > >> On 9/22/26 14:54, Jason Harmening wrote: >> > Do you plan to also bump __FreeBSD_version__ for these changes? >> > This will break any out-of-tree sound driver that uses these macros, >> > particularly if you MFC it. >> > Such drivers will then need some way to determine whether to hardcode '1' >> > or use the previous macro/hardcode '5' to avoid a failed dependency >> check. >> > I still maintain such a thing, however few users there may be, and it >> seems >> > unsafe to assume there aren't others. >> > >> > This seems like a completely unnecessary change TBH. >> >> Can you use #ifdef to test if they are defined in an out-of-tree driver? >> In >> your case, perhaps as something like: >> >> #ifndef SOUND_MINVER >> #define SOUND_MINVER 1 >> #endif >> >> <replying-all this time, god I despise the gmail UI> > > Sure, I mentioned that very possibility in my post on > https://reviews.freebsd.org/D59873. > That's still a hack, and I'm still not sure why it was necessary to kill > these defines in the first place. Does your driver actually depend on sound(4)'s versioning, and if yes, how? The reason for deleting those, although technically unnecessary, was because these values have been forgotten for years and do not actually mean anything useful, so I think it's better to just clean this up and fix the few (if any) use-cases, than keep this rotting further. Christos