Re: git: a5a3daf88af5 - main - fixup! libmlx5: Extend mlx5dv_get_qp() to return UAR mapping info

From: Enji Cooper (yaneurabeya) <yaneurabeya_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2026 16:16:24 UTC
> On Sep 18, 2026, at 7:42 AM, John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org> wrote:
> 
> On 9/16/26 23:07, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 16, 2026 at 02:12:39PM +0000, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
>>> The branch main has been updated by kib:
>>> 
>>> URL: https://cgit.FreeBSD.org/src/commit/?id=a5a3daf88af5e4d30952a7fc8b4d27d83458f484
>>> 
>>> commit a5a3daf88af5e4d30952a7fc8b4d27d83458f484
>>> Author:     Ariel Ehrenberg <aehrenberg@nvidia.com>
>>> AuthorDate: 2026-07-28 12:02:36 +0000
>>> Commit:     Konstantin Belousov <kib@FreeBSD.org>
>>> CommitDate: 2026-09-16 14:12:06 +0000
>>> 
>>>     fixup! libmlx5: Extend mlx5dv_get_qp() to return UAR mapping info
>> To answer some questions I saw on private comm channel:
>> The form of commits was intended, I initially have a plan to squash fixes
>> into the corresponding commits.  But after some thought, I decided to
>> keep the original commits intact, and push fixes as separate changes.
>> This preserves the authorship and does not attribute changes not made
>> by the initial author, potentially putting him off the hook.
>> Might be I should have edited the 'fixup!' rebase markers.  Note that
>> using the 'Fixes:' tags is impossible because I cannot know the final
>> hashes in  advance.
>> This patch series as a whole was validated by Nvidia verification for
>> ConnectX RDMA.
> 
> FWIW, when I recently pushed a set of changes to iw_cxgbe I used
> Co-authored-by: tags to acknowledge changes made by other authors
> while keeping the Author field as the "main" author, including when
> cherry-picking changes from the Linux driver rather than using
> separate fixup commits.  I think the specific phrase fixup! is also
> best if reserved for commits you intend to squash (e.g those created
> with git commit --fixup for use with a later git rebase --autosquash).
> If you want to keep them as separate commits it would be best to
> reword the title to avoid confusion.

As someone who uses `git rebase -i —autosquash` frequently, this could cause havoc for me (and other downstream projects) if that flag is used.
Thank you,
-Enji