Re: git: a5ade24bb0d7 - main - misc/mc: drop needless run-time dependencies on Aspell and Xlib
- Reply: Gleb Popov : "Re: git: a5ade24bb0d7 - main - misc/mc: drop needless run-time dependencies on Aspell and Xlib"
- In reply to: Baptiste Daroussin : "Re: Re: git: a5ade24bb0d7 - main - misc/mc: drop needless run-time dependencies on Aspell and Xlib"
- Go to: [ bottom of page ] [ top of archives ] [ this month ]
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 10:26:49 UTC
16.01.2024 15:31, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 16, 2024 at 03:19:27PM +0700, Eugene Grosbein wrote:
>>>>> The branch main has been updated by danfe:
>>>>>
>>>>> +X11_BUILD_DEPENDS= ${LOCALBASE}/include/X11/Xlib.h:x11/libX11
>>>>
>>>> There is a little sense to have optionalized BUILD_DEPENDS on such a
>>>> tiny dependency as libX11.
>>>
>>> There is also `post-install-X11-on' target at the bottom of the Makefile.
>>> I believe that there still is demand to be able to build the port without
>>> any X11 support whatsoever.
>>
>> Yes, there is.
>>
> You are aware that xorg has been modulariszed around 20 years ago ~10+ years ago for freebsd
> because as usual we were late to the battle, since that libx11 does not bring in
> the whole xorg anymore?
I am.
> Now libx11 only depends on libxcb, libXdmcp libXau and xorgproto
> libbX11-1.8.7,1 5.57MiB
> libxcb-1.15_1 4.94MiB
> libXdmcp-1.1.3 63.1KiB
> libXau-1.0.9 37.7KiB
> xorgproto-2023.2 1.38MiB
>
> Note that if someone looks closedly enough he can probably shave off xorgproto
> as a dependency.
>
> if you look at the build dependency, you will add xtrans and xorg-macros and
> xcb-proto and python39 the only big thing being python3.9 which you probably
> have anyway for other reasons.
Not always. There are cases when I need to include misc/mc into nanobsd-based
FreeBSD system installed and upgraded via r/o image that needs to be as small as possible
to fit two code partitions (A/B) into small flash storage (CompactFlash etc.)
So I need only essential dependencies. Decrease this bloat as much as possible. No python, too.
Sometimes I'm forced to hack ports Makefiles to drop non-essential dependencies
like python out of misc/mc port that disables some its "VFS" support I never use anyway.
And I am happy that I do not need to hack it much more to get rid of all that X stuff.