Re: git: bc18f00c490c - main - bsd.sites.mk: use static CDN to download rust crates

From: Mathieu Arnold <mat_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2026 15:50:43 UTC
On Tue, Sep 22, 2026 at 11:35:04AM -0400, Siva Mahadevan wrote:
> On Tue Sep 22, 2026 at 96:00 UTC, Mathieu Arnold <mat@freebsd.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 11, 2026 at 02:01:44PM +0000, Siva Mahadevan wrote:
> >>     bsd.sites.mk: use static CDN to download rust crates
> >>     
> >>     static.crates.io is the recommended upstream download
> >>     path. This avoids "403 Forbidden" rate limiting results
> >>     when trying to download crates too fast. This also
> >>     seems to improve download speeds/latency.
> >>     
> >>     As per https://crates.io/data-access#crate-content,
> >>     
> >>     > Crates can be downloaded directly from the crates.io CDN
> >>     > [...]
> >>     > No rate limits apply to static.crates.io at present.
> >>     
> >>     And as per https://crates.io/data-access#api,
> >>     
> >>     > you are welcome to use the crates.io API provided you abide by the following limits:
> >>     > * A maximum of 1 request per second, and
> >>     > * A user-agent header that identifies your application.
> >>     
> >>     Reviewed by:    mikael
> >>     Differential Revision:  https://reviews.freebsd.org/D59575
> >
> > Since this change, I am unable to make fetch for rust ports, I get this:
> >
> > => rust/crates/s3req-1.3.1.crate doesn't seem to exist in /portdistfiles.
> > => Attempting to fetch https://static.crates.io/crates/s3req/1.3.1?dummy=/rust/crates/s3req-1.3.1.crate
> > fetch: https://static.crates.io/crates/s3req/1.3.1?dummy=/rust/crates/s3req-1.3.1.crate: Forbidden
> > => Attempting to fetch http://distcache.FreeBSD.org/ports-distfiles/rust/crates/s3req-1.3.1.crate
> > fetch: http://distcache.FreeBSD.org/ports-distfiles/rust/crates/s3req-1.3.1.crate: Not Found
> > => Couldn't fetch it - please try to retrieve this
> > => port manually into /portdistfiles and try again.
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > For example, to be able to update net/s3req, I had to backout this
> > commit to be able to run `make makesum`.
> 
> Removing the custom DISTFILES=... in net/s3req fixes it. What was the
> purpose of the override there?

I have no idea why it was there, it was there in my first Rust port,
dns/dnstracer-rs, I must have copied it from somewhere else.

I'll remove the DISTFILES definition, thank you.

-- 
Mathieu Arnold