ZFS send?

joe mcguckin joe at via.net
Mon May 17 22:15:28 UTC 2021

Does zfs send create a completely identical file system on the receive side? e.g. same inode numbers, etc?

I’ve been using  ZFS in conjunction with SAMBA to perform Apple Time Machine backuos. It works like a charm.
But I might need to move the dataset to another machine or to a newly created filesystem with larger drives.
I know TM somehow fingerprints the backup filesystem and is able to detect when it’s moved to another disk.
I wonder if that’s the case in my instance?

If I can zfs send  and receive it, creating a identical filesystem down to the inode level. I would think that moving the TM backup filesystem
would work.

Any similar experience out there?

Thanks,

Joe