Always-0 NFS statistics

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Fri Oct 23 01:46:39 UTC 2020

Alan Somers wrote:
>It looks to me like three of the server statistics published by nfsstat are
>always 0.  At least, cscope can't find any location in the kernel that sets
>these variables.  Are they legitimately always zero in FreeBSD's
>implementation of NFS, or are they reserved for future features, or is this
>a mistake?  The stats are:
>
>nfsstat's name    kernel name
>Retfailed         srv_errs
>Faults            srvrpc_errs
>Idem              srvcache_idemdonehits
I believe these are left over from when the code was originally written
for OpenBSD2.6, which did not have a separate kernel RPC, where the
NFS code did the RPC calls.

I suppose they should have been deleted from the FreeBSD port once
it was incorporated into FreeBSD using the kernel RPC, but they were
not.

Revising the nfsstats structure yet again is a bother.
I suppose you could modify nfsstats.c so that it never displays these
fields. I doubt that would be considered a POLA violation.

rick