gptzfsboot targeting wrong vdev

Christian Kratzer ck-lists at cksoft.de
Sun Jul 19 08:15:27 UTC 2020

Hi,

On Sat, 18 Jul 2020, Kevin P. Neal wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 08:34:30AM +0300, Andriy Gapon wrote:
>> On 13/07/2020 21:02, Christian Kratzer wrote:
>>> In the future I will ensure  to have the first partition after boot to be the
>>> zroot.
>>
>> By the way, I've been considering changing our ZFS boot code so that it does not
>> treat a pool as a candidate unless it has bootfs explicitly set (non-default value).
>> I think that that would be a reasonable change.  And not hard to do.
>> But never got around to doing it.
>
> Would that include full dataset paths in vfs.root.mountfrom? Because I
> load the kernel from one ufs filesystem and then boot from a zfs pool
> with the full dataset path/name (which term?) specified. It'd be a shame
> to lose that.

is that not what load vfs.root.mountfrom in loader.conf is for

    vfs.root.mountfrom="zfs:zroot/ROOT/default"

Once the first stage has located the drive to boot from it will be in the loader
and will have consumed /boot/loader.conf

The bootme property is just there to point the first stage at the correct
device from where to get the loader from.

Greetings
Christian

--
Christian Kratzer                   CK Software GmbH
Email:   ck at cksoft.de               Wildberger Weg 24/2