ZFS/NVMe layout puzzle

Garrett Wollman wollman at csail.mit.edu
Thu Oct 4 18:43:27 UTC 2018

Say you're using an all-NVMe zpool with PCIe switches to multiplex
drives (e.g., 12 4-lane NVMe drives on one side, 1 PCIe x8 slot on the
other).  Does it make more sense to spread each vdev across switches
(and thus CPU sockets) or to have all of the drives in a vdev on the
same switch?  I have no intuition about this at all, and it may not
even matter.  (You can be sure I'll be doing some benchmarking.)

I'm assuming the ZFS code doesn't have any sort of CPU affinity that
would allow it to take account of the PCIe topology even if that
information were made available to it.

-GAWollman