zpool scrub 9TB finishes in ~40 mins

Andreas Nilsson andrnils at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 13:59:14 UTC 2018

On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 2:22 PM Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd at quip.cz> wrote:

> Andy Farkas wrote on 2018/11/02 13:07:
>
> > # zpool status z
> >    pool: z
> >   state: ONLINE
> > status: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data
> >      corruption.  Applications may be affected.
> > action: Restore the file in question if possible.  Otherwise restore the
> >      entire pool from backup.
> >     see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-8A
> >    scan: scrub in progress since Fri Nov  2 16:59:24 2018
> >      365G scanned out of 11.9T at 228M/s, 14h47m to go
> >          2.47M repaired, 2.99% done
>
> I definitely need this speed of scrub! 238M/s is awesome.
> I have RAIDZ from 4x ST4000VN000-1H4168 SC43 and the speed of scrub is
> about 20MB/s.
>
> Scrub takes more than week to finish:
>
>    pool: tank0
>   state: ONLINE
> status: Some supported features are not enabled on the pool. The pool can
>          still be used, but some features are unavailable.
> action: Enable all features using 'zpool upgrade'. Once this is done,
>          the pool may no longer be accessible by software that does not
> support
>          the features. See zpool-features(7) for details.
>    scan: scrub repaired 0 in 262h56m with 0 errors on Sun Sep 16
> 02:04:25 2018
> config:
>
>          NAME                STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
>          tank0               ONLINE       0     0     0
>            raidz1-0          ONLINE       0     0     0
>              gpt/disk0tank0  ONLINE       0     0     0
>              gpt/disk1tank0  ONLINE       0     0     0
>              gpt/disk2tank0  ONLINE       0     0     0
>              gpt/disk3tank0  ONLINE       0     0     0
>
> This is on HP ProLiant ML 110 G5 (very old machine) with only 5GB of RAM.
>
> Miroslav Lachman

As a data point I can add:

$ zpool status storage-0
  pool: storage-0
 state: ONLINE
  scan: scrub in progress since Fri Nov  2 14:39:55 2018
        293G scanned out of 2.85T at 424M/s, 1h45m to go
        0 repaired, 10.06% done
config:

        NAME              STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        storage-0         ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1-0        ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/store-00  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/store-01  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/store-02  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/store-03  ONLINE       0     0     0

Speed is till increasing. This is on an old supermicro with CPU: Intel(R)
Core(TM) i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz and 8 gb of ram with and ST2000LM015-2E8174
SDM1 2.5'' spinning rust connected to the ahci0: <Intel Cougar Point AHCI
SATA controller>

Best regards
Andreas