smart(8) Call for Testing

Chuck Tuffli chuck at tuffli.net
Thu Mar 29 13:27:54 UTC 2018

On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 11:14 AM, Lev Serebryakov <lev at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 27.03.2018 22:13, Rainer Duffner wrote:
>
>> Maybe one of the vendors who sells FreeBSD as part of an appliance has shown some interest in this?
>>
>> If you’re hardware is well-defined and thus the output is consistent, I could imagine it’s not too difficult to parse this.
>  smartd is very important part of smartmontools, smartctl is not so.
>
>  And periodic self-test triggering & check is most important feature of
> smartd, IMHO.
>
>  Modern HDDs are liers in SMART. And only regular self-test discover
> real errors on surfaces in my experience.
>
>  So, tool without support for HDD self-tests is of little usage for
> appliances, IMHO.

Thank you for the feedback! As I don't have any experience with
smartd, can you help me better understand which parts of it are most
useful to you? Is it just  periodically triggering the self test or
are there other features as well? For example, logging the SMART
values, emailing / triggering notifications when certain criteria are
met, monitoring the self tests, reading the error logs, etc.?

--chuck