What append when arc full

Shane Ambler FreeBSD at ShaneWare.Biz
Thu Jun 14 03:41:19 UTC 2018

On 14/06/2018 05:37, Albert Shih wrote:
> Hi everyone
>

> On one of my server I need to reserve some ram to the application.
>
> So I would like to know what's happend when the ARC are full.

ARC is a cache and it will use any unused ram that it can. When a
process makes a memory request some of the ARC can be released to
satisfy the request. This can add a delay to a process starting, which
is not always desirable.

If you want to keep some ram free for your processes, then you can set
vfs.zfs.arc_max to limit the ram used by ARC. On recent system versions
you can change it dynamically using sysctl or you can set it in
/boot/loader.conf to set it at startup, it accepts human units so you
can use vfs.zfs.arc_max=25G

--
FreeBSD - the place to B...Storing Data

Shane Ambler