pNFS server completed

Karli Sjöberg karli at inparadise.se
Mon Apr 23 08:25:16 UTC 2018

On Sun, 2018-04-22 at 21:18 +0000, Rick Macklem wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have now updated the projects/pnfs-planb-server subtree of svn with
> what
> I believe is a complete pNFS server. It now handles mirrored Data
> Servers (DSs)
> and recovery of a failed mirrored DS while the service is
> operational.
> It handle non-pNFS clients (such as NFSv3 mounts) via having the
> MetaData
> Server act as a proxy for Read/Write operations.
> For pNFS capable NFSv4.1 clients, the Read/Write operations are done
> directly
> on the appropriate DS(s), avoiding the MetaData Server (which act
> like a normal
> NFS server except for pNFS capable clients).
>
> If you are interested in more information or doing testing, see:
> http://people.freebsd.org/~rmacklem/pnfs-planb-setup.txt
>
> I hope that this should be ready for head/current with some
> additional testing.
> I will post here asking the "collective" about this when I think it
> is ready.
>
> If there are any volunteers on the doc side  who would like to turn
> the above
> text file into a useful document, that would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Good luck with it, if you test it, rick

Hi Rick!

I think this sounds amazing to have a distributed file server natively
in FreeBSD, awesome!

One question that comes to mind is about the MDS: wouldn´t that be a
SPOF? Maybe that has already been discussed and explained and I´ve just
missed it, but would be nice to know. And if it is a SPOF, are there
any plans of also mirroring MDS's as well? Perhaps a DS can be MDS to,
something like that?

/K