Self encrypting drives

Mark Saad nonesuch at longcount.org
Sun Jun 25 15:53:40 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,
  I ran into a very strange issue last week . I had a server with a basic zfs setup , running 11-Release-p11 amd64 . 4 disks in  pool of two mirrors . I also had a 400g disk I was using in a 60/40 split with gpt partitions ,for l2arc and slog . All was good until a reboot where the ssd out of the blue decided it was encrypted. On that reboot the box was waiting at a enter password prompt . I had never set this up and had no idea what it was . The disk is an ocz p5: tg32c10480gk . Also the ssd going bananas caused my pool to break in interesting ways . More on that later . So I have Two questions.

Is there a way from inside FreeBSD to enable / disable sed or fed on a disk that supports it ? In Linux hdparm can do this . Second question has anyone ever seen a disk do this ? Could this be a sign it was failed?

So zpool fun ; so the ssd was inaccessible after the kernel loaded . The is could see the disk but most of the commands sent to it failed . The odd issue was the zpool would not properly mount any zfs file systems and panic the box . I suspect this is from my stupidity of putting slog and l2arc on one disk . Anyone have any ideas on this ?

---
Mark Saad | nonesuch at longcount.org