Bigger MAX_PATH (Was: Re: State of native encryption in ZFS)

Ben RUBSON ben.rubson at gmail.com
Tue May 17 09:58:56 UTC 2016

> On 15 may 2016 at 12:45, Niall Douglas wrote:
>
>>> If FreeBSD had a bigger PATH_MAX then stackable encryptions layers
>>> like ecryptfs (encfs?) would be viable choices. Because encrypted
>>> path components are so long, one runs very rapidly into the maximum
>>> path on the system when PATH_MAX is so low.

Could you give us some examples where PATH_MAX was too low for you using ecryptfs ?
I (for the moment) do not run into troubles using EncFS.

> http://freebsd.1045724.n5.nabble.com/misc-184340-PATH-MAX-not-interope
> rable-with-Linux-td5864469.html

And examples where PATH_MAX is too low using Rsync ?
Is it too low when we want to sync from Linux to FreeBSD ? Or from FreeBSD to Linux ?
Using Rsync over SSH ? Or using the Rsync daemon on the receiving side ?

Thank you very much !

Ben