zfs receive stalls whole system

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Tue May 17 03:59:57 UTC 2016

> Am 17.05.2016 um 03:51 schrieb Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us>:
>
> On Tue, 17 May 2016, Rainer Duffner wrote:
>>
>> It’s very difficult (well, impossible) to debug, because the system totally hangs and doesn’t accept any keypresses.
>>
>> Would a ZIL help in this case?
>> I always thought that NFS was the only thing that did SYNC writes…
>
> This sounds like a hardware or driver problem.  A dedicated ZIL won't help a system which entirely hangs.

When I rebuilt these systems, I started with the 2nd one, the standby-system.
I zfs sent 5 or 6T worth of data from the original system to it and it was very fast. I got 600 MBit flat out of it.

Then, I made that system master while I rebuilt the other one.

When I synced back, I got maybe 500MBit on the zfs sends.

And I started to see these stalls on sending updates.

Could this be a problem:

(nfs2-prod </root>) 1 # sysctl -a |grep mps |grep "driver_version\|firmware_version"
dev.mps.2.driver_version: 20.00.00.00-fbsd
dev.mps.2.firmware_version: 15.10.01.00
dev.mps.1.driver_version: 20.00.00.00-fbsd
dev.mps.1.firmware_version: 13.10.53.00
dev.mps.0.driver_version: 20.00.00.00-fbsd
dev.mps.0.firmware_version: 13.10.53.00

As per this thread:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/9-3-1-update-with-alert-firmware-version-16-does-not-match-driver-version-20-for-dev-mps0.36536/page-4

I will have to ask HP for a newer firmware then…