Fwd: The Morning Paper: NOVA - A log-structured file system for hybrid volatile/non-volatile main memories

Lev Serebryakov lev at FreeBSD.org
Sun May 8 11:08:50 UTC 2016

Hello Poul-Henning,

Sunday, May 8, 2016, 1:47:39 PM, you wrote:

> The problem with that kind of hardware is that either you specialize
> 100% for that vendors product, with resulting lock-in, or you satisfy
> yourself with a generic solution which works an anything sensible.

> I don't think FreeBSD has the bandwidth for anything but the second option.

  Really, Intel is not "that vendor" now. It is THE Vendor. FreeBSD has a LOT
of specialization for this vendor (all i386 code, NVMe, and other), and many
thing from Intel (or which becomes widespread in Intel-based systems, like
PCI, which is not exactly "from Intel", of course) becomes industrial
standard.

 I don't think such type of memory will be very-Intel-specific for long. HP
works on something comparable, and other companies too.

--
Best regards,
 Lev                            mailto:lev at FreeBSD.org