pNFS server Plan B

Jordan Hubbard jkh at ixsystems.com
Fri Jun 24 07:35:24 UTC 2016

> On Jun 22, 2016, at 1:56 AM, Willem Jan Withagen <wjw at digiware.nl> wrote:
>
> In the spare time I have left, I'm trying to get a lot of small fixes
> into the ceph tree to get it actually compiling, testing, and running on
> FreeBSD. But Ceph is a lot of code, and since a lot of people are
> working on it, the number of code changes are big.

Hi Willem,

Yes, I read your paper on the porting effort!

I also took a look at porting ceph myself, about 2 years ago, and rapidly concluded that it wasn’t a small / trivial effort by any means and would require a strong justification in terms of ceph’s feature set over glusterfs / moose / OpenAFS / RiakCS / etc.   Since that time, there’s been customer interest but nothing truly “strong” per-se.  My attraction to ceph remains centered around at least these 4 things:

1. Distributed Object store with S3-compatible ReST API
2. Interoperates with Openstack via Swift compatibility
3. Block storage (RADOS) - possibly useful for iSCSI and other block storage requirements
4. Filesystem interface

Is there anything we can do to help?  Do the CEPH folks seem receptive to actually having a “Tier 1” FreeBSD port?  I know that stas@ did an early almost-port awhile back, but it never reached fruition and my feeling was that they (ceph) might be a little gun-shy about seeing another port that might wind up in the same place, crufting up their code base to no purpose.  Do you have any initial impressions about that?  I’ve never talked to any of the 3 principle guys working on the project and this is pure guesswork on my part.

- Jordan