CEPH + FreeBSD

Jordan Hubbard jordanhubbard at icloud.com
Sun Sep 6 05:20:02 UTC 2015

> On Sep 3, 2015, at 4:17 AM, Rick Macklem <rmacklem at uoguelph.ca> wrote:
>
> Slightly off topic but, btw, there is a port of GLusterFS and those folks do seem
> interested in seeing it brought "up to speed". I am not sure how mature it is at
> this point, but it has been known to build on amd64. (I don't have an amd64 machine,
> so I haven't gotten around to building/testing it, but I do plan to try and use
> it as a basis for a pNFS server, if I can figure out how to get the FH info out of it.
> I'm working on that;-)

There are at least two distributed (multi-node) object stores for FreeBSD that I know of.

One is glusterfs, for which I’m not even really clear on the status of the ports for.  I don’t see any glusterfs port in the master branch of https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-ports (or https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-ports/tree/branches/2015Q3 for that matter).

Our FreeNAS ports tree (https://github.com/freenas/ports), in which we have a bit more latitude to add and curate our own ports, has both a net/glusterfs and sysutils/glusterfs, from separate sources (looks like we need to clean things up) - net/glusterfs lists craig001 at lerwick.hopto.org as the MAINTAINER and is at version 3.6.2.  The sysutils/glusterfs port lists bapt at FreeBSD.org as the MAINTAINER and is at version 20140811.

I’m not really sure about the provenance since we were simply evaluating glusterfs for awhile and may have pulled in interim versions from those sources, but obviously it would be best to have an official maintainer and someone in the FreeBSD project actually curating a glusterfs port so that all users of FreeBSD can use it.  It would also be fairly key to your own efforts, assuming you decide to pursue glusterfs as a foundation technology for pNFS.

The other object store, which is pretty mature and is currently leading the pack (of two :) ) for inclusion into FreeNAS is RiakCS from Basho.  There is a port currently in databases/riak but it’s pretty out of date at version 1.4.12 (the current version is 2.0.1, with 2.0 being a major upgrade of RiakCS).

We are very interested in investigating various ways of shimming RiakCS to NFS, using RiakCS a back-end store.   Is that something you’d be amenable to discussing?   I’d be happy to send you an amd64 architecture machine to develop on. :)

- Jordan