Attach a device to an unimported pool?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Tue Jul 21 04:52:28 UTC 2015

On 2015/07/21 02:28, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> I have an unimportable zpool which is telling me to 'attach the missing
> devices and try again'
>
> The missing devices are a mirrored pair for logs -- they exist and
> should be readily attachable, but it seems I cannot attach devices to an
> un-imported pool, and I can't import the pool with out attaching the
> devices.
>
> Any clues as to how to unfuck this system most gratefully received.

Following myself up, because I missed out providing enough useful
information.

This is a 10.1-RELEASE machine -- I was upgrading it from p5 to p14 and
changing the vfs.zfs.arc_max setting: nothing that should have been
anything other than routine.  However the machine wouldn't reboot
properly, and I have eventually ended up with it booted up from a USB
stick trying to repair it's boot pool.

I've tried:

   zpool import -R /mnt zroot
   zpool import -f -R /mnt zroot
   zpool import -f -F -R /mnt zroot
   zpool import -f -m /mnt zroot

plus variations on zpool attach ... and zpool replace ... none of which
has succeeded.

	Matthew