Urgently need some help solving lost space due to snapshots during receive op

Da Rock freebsd-fs at herveybayaustralia.com.au
Mon Aug 10 09:46:46 UTC 2015

On 10/08/2015 18:42, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
> On 10-8-2015 06:42, Da Rock wrote:
>> I'm trying to move a pool from one system to another - exact same hdd
>> and config, different in other areas. Both register same space
>> available, and so should be no issue. The old system is quite full -
>> still at least 5% free though.
> Hi,
>
> Are the versions of your FreeBSD also equal?
No. 9.1 to 10.1.

> Because in newer version, the free space reservation is significantly
> bigger. So if disks are equal size, then with newer FreeBSDs you have
> less usable space available.
> Don't know the exact SVN commit where it happened. But there are more
> question on this topic in the list, and they all boil down to the same
> thing: ZFS needs more reserved space to be able to do certain things
> without freezing the system.
>
> I've not read any suggestions that you can circumvent this setting.
Crap. So I guess my best will be to compress as best I can for the
moment or something like that.

> As a second note I think is is more or less general understanding that a
> ZFS systeem needs a lot more space left free than 5% to actual be able
> to perform.
> Last number I remember as sensible maximum fill level is around 70%.
> If you go over it, your system is going to be busy with ZFS bookkeeping
> instead of data storage.
Yeah, I noticed that. Something I'm working on... backlog of sorting
activities really :) Once I'm done it'll drop to well below 50% I'd say.
> (One of the things I remember from the ZFS lecture by Kirk McKusik,
> which I no longer can find on YouTube :( )
>
> --WjW
Thanks for the info - I owe you a beer! At least I know why now and
eases my growing headache from banging my head on the brick wall.