FreeBSD/ZFS on [HEAD] chews up memory

Shane Ambler FreeBSD at ShaneWare.Biz
Sun Apr 12 03:49:21 UTC 2015

On 09/04/2015 20:41, Matthias Gamsjager wrote:
> When you decided to use ZFS did you read up on the design of it? Most
> of the RAM goes to ARC which caches all the read files for you.
> Beside that you can tame the ARC with parameters and FreeBSD should
> shrink the ARC when more memory is needed.

That isn't the issue on 10.1

I have 8GB RAM and have set arc_max to 2G - 3 disk raidz

Booting my machine with 10.1-RELEASE into single user mode and writing
to disk can take wired up to 7G which locks up the machine and only
takes 10 mins

Even running a recent 10-STABLE build I can get over 6GB wired, but now
I can allocate ram to pressure out the wired allocation, the arc amount
reported in top stays relatively stable during this time.

--
FreeBSD - the place to B...Storing Data

Shane Ambler