Snapshots and what not to snapshot

James R. Van Artsdalen james-freebsd-fs2 at jrv.org
Wed Oct 29 19:18:52 UTC 2014

On 10/29/2014 12:08 PM, Johannes Totz wrote:
> On 11/10/2014 22:38, Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:
>> you have some tree of ZFS file systems, like
>>
>> pool/path/r
>> pool/path/jails
>> pool/path/jails/j1
>> pool/path/jails/j1/obj

snapshots and ZFS replication is done against the ZFS namespace, not the
unix namespace.  Organize your filesystems in the ZFS tree based on how
you want to replicate/snapshot them, then use the ZFS mountpoint
property to put them in the unix namespace where you want them to appear.

For example the basic approach I use for client systems is a ZFS
namespace like POOL/UNIX for FreeBSD, POOL/BUSINESS for shared company
data, POOL/BACKUP for client system backup blobs, POOL/REPLICANT for the
replication workspace to use in keeping  hot-spare servers updated, etc.

Note that the root of the ZFS tree is empty, and that the root of the
unix tree is elsewhere.  I often keep more than one bootable unix system
root in a pool (for maintenance).

PS. Don't forget the zpool bootfs property.