ZFS API

K. Macy kmacy at freebsd.org
Wed Oct 8 17:44:19 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 2:44 AM, Ivailo A. Tanusheff <ITanusheff at postbank.bg>
wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am looking for an API and documentation about programing some actions on
> C/C++ for ZFS management.
> I have found an library -
> /usr/src/cddl/contrib/opensolaris/lib/libzfs/common/libzfs.h but this lacks
> any documentation.
> I do not want to make a huge development and my skills are not great, so I
> need some useful API and documentation.
> Is there such thing available around?
> What I need is to include some snapshot management techniques :)
>
> Regards,
>
> Ivailo Tanusheff

Solaris' ndmpd snapshots the volumes in question prior to doing a back up.
It isn't what you asked for, but it is an example of other applications
using libzfs. That file works almost unmodified in the (incomplete) FreeBSD
ndmpd port.

https://github.com/illumos/illumos-gate/blob/master/usr/src/cmd/ndmpd/ndmp/ndmpd_zfs.c

If you intend on being a frequent correspondent on public mailing lists you
might consider using a webmail account to avoid issues with spam etc. Most
of all, the confidentiality footers don't make a lot of sense in this
context.

Cheers.

-K