kern/187594: [zfs] [patch] ZFS ARC behavior problem and fix [SB QUAR: Fri Mar 21 16:01:12 2014]

John john at theusgroup.com
Tue Mar 25 08:18:26 UTC 2014

>Karl,
>
>I don't know why the PR system doesn't allow multiple attachments for
>patches
>to be sent so they can easily be downloaded.  I continue to be
>unsuccessful
>at getting patches out of email that don't have line wrap are tab
>issues. So,
>again if you could send a link or post the latest patch I would be glad
>to let
>it churn.
>
>If I need an education about the PR system, please someone help me.

I've had to hand edit every patch due to the extra stuff added in the email
from mime encoding and the PR system stripping all leading white space from
the patches that show up there.

That said, I've been applying the patches to 9.2. The previous patch was a
big improvement under my workload. It's too early to tell about the latest
patch, but its applied to 9.2 after I upgraded to the new zfs features, r263423.

The machine has 24 GB of ram and prior to the patches it had vfs.zfs.arc_max
tuned to 14 GB to keep from swapping. With the patch I've raise arc_max to
16 GB (I'll raise it higher after more testing), and arc management seems to
be working well.

John Theus
TheusGroup.com