Large ZFS arrays?

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 16:11:13 UTC 2014

On Jun 15, 2014 8:29 AM, "Dennis Glatting" <freebsd at pki2.com> wrote:

> Anyone built a large ZFS infrastructures (PB size) and care to share
> words of wisdom?

We don't yet have a petabyte of storage (currently just under 200 TB raw),
but our infrastructure will scale to 720 TB raw (using 4 TB drives) without
daisy-changing storage boxes, or 1.4 PB if daisy-chained.

We use a SuperMicro H8DGi-F6 motherboard in an SC826 2U chassis with SSDs
for the OS, log and cache vdevs directly connected to the onboard SAS
controller. We have multiple LSI 9211-8e controllers connected to the
external storage boxes (each chassis has an SAS expander).

The storage chassis are 45-bay SC846-JBOD chassis, currently using 2TB
drives. We currently only have 2 storage chassis connected. It supports 4
chassis directly, or 8 if you daisy-chain the storage chassis.

We currently only use these for backups storage, so we configured things
for bulk storage and not raw I/O or throughout. We only have gigabit
Ethernet, and we saturate that with zfs send every day for several hours.

Hope that helps.