ZFS and Wired memory, again

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 20:08:00 UTC 2014

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 1:58 PM, Mark Felder <feld at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 28, 2014, at 13:43, Adam Vande More wrote:
> > >  He's running 150 TB on 3 GB of mem.  Periodic I think could consume
> that
> > alone.
> >

> Which periodic script are you referring to? The daily security check? I
> suppose I could see resource usage increase after checking for new
> setuid bits... assuming he had a lot of files to crawl through. But I
> don't actually know if that would do much to wired memory.

Yes that and perhaps stuff from weekly as well as the "ugly" you inferred
earlier.  Regardless, the amount of mem for the "test" system is too low
for the dataset size.  The swapping is the issue and if he wants to
eliminate that he should increase the memory or limit what is available to
the kernel.  Limiting the kernel also has its side effects.

--
Adam