RFC: How to fix the NFS/iSCSI vs TSO problem

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Tue Apr 1 01:43:27 UTC 2014

Marcelo Araujo wrote:

> Hello Rick,
>

> We have made couple more benchmarks here with additional options,
> such like '64 threads' and readahead=8.

I can't remember, but if you haven't already done so, another thing to
try are these sysctls on the server:
sysctl vfs.nfsd.tcphighwater=100000
sysctl vfs.nfsd.tcpcachetimeo=300

These should reduce the server's CPU overhead (how important these
setting are depends on how current your kernel is).

> Now, we add nfsstat and netstat -m into the table.
> Here attached is the full benchmark, and I can say, this patch really
> improved the read speed.

I noticed a significant reduction in CPU usage on the server (about 20%).
An interesting question would be "Is this CPU reduction a result of
avoiding the m_defrag() calls in the ix driver?".
Unfortunately, the only way I can think of answering this is doing the
benchmarks on hardware without the 32 mbuf chain limitation, but I
doubt that you can do that?

Put another way, it would be interesting to compare "with vs without"
the patch on machines where the network interface can handle 35 mbufs
in the transmit chain, so there aren't m_defrag() calls being done for
the non-patched case.

Anyhow, have fun with it, rick