Controller for ZFS

Shawn Wallbridge shawn.wallbridge at imaginaryforces.com
Fri Nov 15 03:50:07 UTC 2013

On 11/14/13 2:49 AM, "Borja Marcos" <borjam at sarenet.es> wrote:

>On Nov 13, 2013, at 7:41 PM, Shawn Wallbridge wrote:
>
>> I was wondering what the preferred/best supported 24port SAS/SATA
>> controller is for FreeBSD? I have a box with a LSI/3Ware 9750-24i4e in
>>it,
>> which I can use in JBOD mode, but it seems like a waste to me.
>
>Not only a waste, but a serious problem.
>
>You absolutely do not want a "JBOD mode" in which you create so-called
>RAID0 1-drive logical volumes.
>
>You absolutely do want a silly and stupid HBA which just passes SAS/SATA
>commands from the OS to the drives
>and back.
>
>The "JBOD mode" offers a fake device in which the "intelligent"
>controller makes its own decisions and, of course, hides
>the very important SAS/SATA status codes from the OS.
>
>ZFS knows better.
>
>The one I use is sold by Dell as the "H200". They usually try to disuade
>you by saying that it's not intelligent, doesn't
>offer RAID, some of their "configuration aids" even forbid it... I just
>tell the salesman to shut up because I know much better than him.
>
>The only problem: beware if you are using a built-in backplane in the
>server, some manufacturers insist on using different
>cabling schemes for different controllers and you could run into stupid
>problems because of that.
>
>FreeBSD 10 identifies one of my cards as this one:
>mps0: <LSI SAS2008> port 0x7c00-0x7cff mem
>0xd4ff0000-0xd4ffffff,0xd4f80000-0xd4fbffff irq 80 at device 0.0 on pci67
>mps0: Firmware: 07.15.08.00, Driver: 16.00.00.00-fbsd
>mps0: IOCCapabilities:
>185c<ScsiTaskFull,DiagTrace,SnapBuf,EEDP,TransRetry,IR>
>
>Borja.

I was leaning towards two of these.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?&Item=N82E16816118142

LSI LSI00244 (9201-16i) PCI-Express 2.0 x8 SATA / SAS Host Bus Adapter
Card,

What do you guys think?

shawn

This e-mail is intended only for the named person or entity to which it is addressed and contains valuable business information that is proprietary, privileged, confidential and/or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you received this e-mail in error, any review, use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. Please notify us immediately of the error via e-mail to <ifpostmaster> postmaster at imaginaryforces.com and please delete the e-mail from your system, retaining no copies in any media. We appreciate your cooperation.

...imaginaryforces.com...