Long delays during boot and zpool/zfs commands on 9.1-RELEASE (possibly because of unavailable pool?)

Henner Heck Henner.Heck at web.de
Thu May 16 10:08:38 UTC 2013

Am 15.05.2013 10:42, schrieb Ronald Klop:
> On Tue, 14 May 2013 23:33:08 +0200, Henner Heck <Henner.Heck at web.de>
> wrote:
>
>> Am 14.05.2013 21:22, schrieb Steven Hartland:
>>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Henner Heck" <Henner.Heck at web.de>

>>> Try the attached patch see if that helps?
>>>
>>>    Regards
>>>    Steve
>>>
>>> ================================================
>>> This e.mail is private and confidential between Multiplay (UK) Ltd.
>>> and the person or entity to whom it is addressed. In the event of
>>> misdirection, the recipient is prohibited from using, copying,
>>> printing or otherwise disseminating it or any information contained in
>>> it.
>>> In the event of misdirection, illegible or incomplete transmission
>>> please telephone +44 845 868 1337
>>> or return the E.mail to postmaster at multiplay.co.uk.
>>

>> Hello Steven,
>>
>> i tried to apply the patch, but patch didn't return and gave no output.
>> I checked my the zfs.c and it doesn't seem to fit this patch.
>> Please see attached file.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Henner Heck
>
> Sounds likes my daily wtf moment. Patch likes the patch-file on stdin.
> That is why it waits forever and does not return. Ctrl-z will help that.
>
> Use something like this:
> patch < foo.diff
>
> Regards,
> Ronald.

Always happy to give someone a special moment.
Thank you, now patch did something.
It confirmed that it is the wrong file version for the patch,
since the replacements failed and the only changes are additions.
Output:

Hmm...  Looks like a unified diff to me...
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|--- sys/boot/zfs/zfs.c.orig    2011-10-20 18:15:29.966685430 +0000
|+++ sys/boot/zfs/zfs.c 2011-10-20 18:18:22.291033636 +0000
--------------------------
Patching file sys/boot/zfs/zfs.c using Plan A...
Hunk #2 failed at 423.
1 out of 2 hunks failed--saving rejects to sys/boot/zfs/zfs.c.rej
Hmm...  Ignoring the trailing garbage.
done

I'm still hoping that someone can give the reason for the increased delays.
Since nothing actually goes wrong but just takes ages,
they might have been introduced on purpose,
not considering the possibility of a deliberately unavailable pool.(?)

Regards,
Henner Heck