FFS: fsck doesn't match doc

Dieter BSD dieterbsd at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 17:59:42 UTC 2013

Anyone have thoughts on bin/166499: fsck(8) behaviour does not match doc
(PARTIALLY TRUNCATED INODE)?  This PR has been sitting around for over a
year with no comments or action.  Seems to me it should appear on the
list of open fs bugs, but it doesn't?

A process is running, appending data to a file (*NOT* truncating the
file as the doc claims!).  Machine panics or otherwise goes down badly.
Fsck whines about PARTIALLY TRUNCATED INODE and that fs doesn't get
mounted until I run fsck manually. This happens nearly every time the
machine goes down. More details are in the PR.

Would it be safe to have fsck automagically fix this problem, as the
doc (incorrectly) says it does?