ZFS regimen: scrub, scrub, scrub and scrub again.

Artem Belevich art at freebsd.org
Wed Jan 23 21:10:55 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 12:22 PM, Wojciech Puchar
<wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl> wrote:
>>> While RAID-Z is already a king of bad performance,
>>

>> I don't believe RAID-Z is any worse than RAID5.  Do you have any actual
>> measurements to back up your claim?
>

> it is clearly described even in ZFS papers. Both on reads and writes it
> gives single drive random I/O performance.

For reads - true. For writes it's probably behaves better than RAID5
as it does not have to go through read-modify-write for partial block
updates. Search for RAID-5 write hole.
If you need higher performance, build your pool out of multiple RAID-Z vdevs.