10-BETA4 ZFS problem with more than one pool

Borja Marcos borjam at sarenet.es
Thu Dec 5 09:30:34 UTC 2013

Hi

I have a machine running 10-BETA4. The system has two ZFS pools. One of them is used for the root filesystem, OS, and other stuff,
and the other one mostly for data. Yes, there is a good reason for that, one of them is a mirror of mechanical hard disks, and the other
has SSDs, I've been using it to experiment.

The zfs-on-rooot is the "old school" approach of using a UFS boot partition, with a loader.conf file pointing the root
to a ZFS dataset, mounting / /var /usr from /etc/fstab and legacy.  So far, so good.

The problem is: I am unable to get both pools to work unless I import the second one with a -f. So, the automatic zfs mount doesn't work.

I have made sure to have the zfs.cache file accessible as /boot/zfs/zfs.cache, made an import of the second pool, so that the cache file is
updated, but when rebooting it is still unable to import it automatically.

Trying a manual import it says:

root at pruebassd:~ # zpool import -a
cannot import 'cashopul': pool may be in use from other system
use '-f' to import anyway

Any clues about this confusion? No matter what I try, there's a mismatch between the hostid with the system in multiuser mode and the system running /etc/rc.d/zfs.

Thanks!