Questions re swap-on-zfs

Ivailo.TANUSHEFF at raiffeisen.bg Ivailo.TANUSHEFF at raiffeisen.bg
Tue Dec 3 08:16:34 UTC 2013

Hello there :)

I had similar issues with a test box (FreeBSD 9.1) I used few months ago
with not so much free RAM - the box had 1-3GB total RAM as far as I
remember.
After digging I have found that the problem was actually a swap deadlock
:)
What I mean: when you heavily utilize the system, for example building
ports or something, the system tries to swap some memory, used by the ZFS.
The problem is, that the swap is actually on the ZFS itself and uses the
same memory.
I am not sure I describe this precisely, but the overall result is that
the system uses more and more swap space just to be able to swap something
relatively small. It ends up crashing the system several times.

What I did and made the things OK - I just removed the swap from the ZFS.
I used the first/last 1-2GB on each disk out of the ZFS just for swap -
the system had 3 disks.
After initiating the same operations I have noticed that the system used
less that 0.5GB swap, so the problem was not the quantity, but the fact
that swap is on ZFS. Maybe on a system with more RAM that will not be an
issue :)

Regards,

Ivailo TANUSHEFF
Head of IT Operations Department

Raiffeisenbank (Bulgaria) EAD
55 Nikola Vaptzarov Blvd , Expo 2000, Building E, 1407 Sofia, Bulgaria
Tel.: +359 2 8610-816
Fax: +359 2 9628350
e-mail: Ivailo.TANUSHEFF at raiffeisen.bg
web: www.rbb.bg