ZFS: Failed pool causes system to hang

Quartz quartz at sneakertech.com
Tue Apr 9 12:46:00 UTC 2013

> I hadn't followed the entire discussion, but do you have the "failmode"
> zpool property set to "wait" (the default)?  If so, can you reproduce it
> with "failmode" set to "continue"?

Yes. Changing the failmode was the first thing research led me to try.
"wait" hangs almost immediately while "continue" gives me some seconds
to a minute and then hangs.

-STABLE has some new commits that will eventually panic the machine if
this type of zfs hang goes on for too long, but that doesn't help me at
all. (If I was ok with a panic, I'd set failmode to "panic" and be done
with it).