ZFS: Failed pool causes system to hang

Quartz quartz at sneakertech.com
Mon Apr 8 05:19:05 UTC 2013

> So, this thread seems to just stop....and can't see if it was
> resolved or not.

It wasn't. Jeremy Chadwick was the only one who really responded, but
besides confirming it wasn't specific to my hardware, there wasn't a lot
he could do. He suggested I email some of the kernel folks directly
and/or open a PR about it. (I'm planning on doing both, but haven't had
time over the weekend).

> Anyways, my input would be did you want long enough to see if the
> system will boot before declaring it hung?

> I've had my system crash at bad times, which has resulted in the
> appearance that the boot is hung...but its busy churning away....

> It seemed hung at trying to mount root

It might not have been clear from the back and forth, but my issue isn't
a "boot hang" per se, but that "reboots also hang". The zfs subsystem
hangs so thoroughly it blocks all io on all disks and prevents the
reboot/halt/shutdown procedure from taking the machine down gracefully.
Once I press the physical front-panel reboot button the machine comes up
immediately (sans the offending pool). And yes I've waited over half an
hour and it never recovers. My discussion with Jeremy indicated that the
infinite wait is an "expected failure" in the sense that zfs would not
be come back to life given the circumstances.