AW: AW: ZFS: Corrupted pool metadata after adding vdev to a pool - no opportunity to rescue data from healthy vdevs? Remove a vdev? Rewrite metadata?

Thomas Göllner (Newsletter) Newsletter at goelli.de
Fri Sep 14 05:29:38 UTC 2012

Thanks for the code. It helped a little bit to understand some details.

I tried the "-e" Option of "zdb" and I listed the uberblocks of the discs with "zdb -l -u <dev>".
As I can see, the there is a "create_txg: 56482". With the uberblocks I was able to find the corresponding date/time which is the time I added the new vdev.

But every command and option combo I'm trying gets me just two results:
"Input/output error" or
"Device not configured"
So I can't read out data via "-bbb" or so...

Perhaps there was more destroyed during the process of creating and adding the new vdev than I thought first. It seems to me, that the NAS4free GUI mixed up the discs during formatting or something like that. After adding the new vdev I hat 16TB of space which was way too much and in the info I could see the discs of the old vdev twice... But the NAS was still playing out my data. After the restart the pool faulted.

So my last idea is the "-C" option of the "zdb" command. Perhaps I can give a new config which it has to use. But where do I find the config file or what is it supposed to look like?

I also think there is no way to write new or edit the lables of the discs?