GEOM: the primary GPT table is corrupt or invalid after RAIDZ creation

Sat Jun 25 18:04:42 UTC 2011

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 09:01:22 -0500 Troy Drake <tdgx86 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have recently setup a new file server with 5x 2TB Samsung 4K sector
> drives in a RAIDZ array and after going through the steps of creating
> GPT partitions to set the alignment a 1 MB aligned sector (block 2048)
> and gnop to force 4k sectors and finally a RAIDZ array, I receive the
> following warning:
>
> GEOM: ad6: the primary GPT table is corrupt or invalid.
> GEOM: ad6: using the secondary instead -- recovery strongly advised.
> (Snipped, but applies to ad8, ad10, ad12, ad14 identically).
>
> The steps I used to setup this array are as follows:
> gpart create -s GPT ad6 (and to all others)

Here you create the GPT on ad6 (harddisk).

> gpart add -t freebsd-zfs -b 2048 ad6 (and to all others)

Here you create a partition on the harddisk.

> gnop create -S 4086 ad6

Here you tell to create a 4k-sector pseudo-drive of the entire harddisk
(instead of the partition).

> zpool create raidz tank ad6.nop ad8 ad10 ad12 ad14

Here you create a pool on the complete harddisks, not on the zfs
partition you created above.

This should also destroy the GPT.

I suggest you have a look at
http://www.leidinger.net/blog/2011/05/03/another-root-on-zfs-howto-optimized-for-4k-sector-drives/
there you can see how to do what I think you wanted to do.

Bye,
Alexander.