3TB drives on ZFS and booting

Gary Corcoran gcorcoran at rcn.com
Sun Jul 24 22:22:10 UTC 2011

I have seen conflicting information on the internet about this, and so
I would like a direct answer from someone who knows for sure.  Does FreeBSD's
ZFS work with 3TB drives, and is it possible to do a ZFS-only (i.e. boot from
ZFS) installation with 3TB drives on FreeBSD?  I presume that since ZFS was designed
to handle huge filesystems, it would have no problem with 3TB drives, but I guess
the real question is the ZFS boot code - can it currently handle >2TB drives?
Bottom line: would I be able to successfully build (and of course boot) a FreeBSD
ZFS-only system using only 3TB drives?

Thanks,
Gary