question on extended attributes

Chris BeHanna chris at behanna.org
Sat Apr 16 19:26:40 UTC 2011

On Apr 15, 2011, at 17:01, Daniel Mayfield <dan at 3geeks.org> wrote:

> I'm trying to use rsync and rsnapshot to make backup copies of my Mac to my freebsd 8.2 server .  When I specify syncing extended attributes as well, I get an error for any file on the Mac that has a resource fork:
>
> rsync: rsync_xal_set: lsetxattr("Documents/<foo>","com.apple.ResourceFork") failed: No space left on device (28)
>
> I'd love to work on fixing this, but I'm seeing a bunch of references to UFS1 vs UFS2 in the extended attribute readme.  But I'm not sure what I'm actually using (I took the default when it setup, which says ufs2+softdep, but mount simply says ufs).
>
> Can someone help point me in the right direction?

Although I can't answer your specific question, I *can* tell you that creating an HFS+ sparsebundle with a large maximum size on your Mac, copying it to your FreeBSD box, mounting it on your Mac over NFS, and then backing up to it does work. You may even be able to use Time Machine with it.

--
Chris BeHanna
chris at behanna.org