boot code compatibility with ZFS

Aristedes Maniatis ari at ish.com.au
Sun Mar 28 01:10:02 UTC 2010

On 28/03/10 11:47 AM, Dan Naumov wrote:
>> FreeBSD 7.1: ZFS version 6, no ZFS boot capability
>> FreeBSD 7.2: ZFS version 6, zfsboot only, boot from single vdev pool only
>> FreeBSD 7.3: ZFS version 13, zfsboot broken, no ZFS boot capability
>>
>> FreeBSD 8.0: ZFS version 13, gptzfsboot and zfsboot, boot from mirrored pool
>> or single vdev, RAIDZ not supported, degraded pool not supported
>
> I am not really sure what gives you the idea that booting off a
> degraded pool is not supported in 8.0. I have a zfsroot/boot
> configuration sitting on a mirror and I have tested yanking one drive
> at a time (resulting in a degraded pool) and booting with only 1 disk
> present and it worked just fine.
>
> - Sincerely,
> Dan Naumov

Ah, thanks for that. I just read that on one of the FreeBSD lists recently. Can't see the exact post now, but I'm happy to be wrong, perhaps that was an older limitation in a previous release.

 From Ali's comment, I guess we could add for the future release of 8.1:

FreeBSD 8.1: ZFS version 13, gptzfsboot and zfsboot, boot from mirrored pool, RAIDZ or single vdev.

Does that include RAIDZ2?

I'm happy to write up my results for the wiki (although editing seems to be closed to only certain people), once I have some definitive answers for what is supported where. And hopefully there will be a 7.3p1 which restores ZFS booting ability.

Regards

Ari Maniatis

--
Aristedes Maniatis