Inode number treated as signed int in ffs_nodealloccg

Kirk McKusick mckusick at mckusick.com
Mon Feb 1 20:36:36 UTC 2010

> Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 12:29:18 +0200
> From: Jaakko Heinonen <jh at freebsd.org>
> To: Scott Burns <scott at bqinternet.com>
> Cc: freebsd-fs at freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: Inode number treated as signed int in ffs_nodealloccg
>
> On 2010-01-31, Scott Burns wrote:
> > I imagine that this hasn't been noticed up to now since most people are
> > not exceeding the range of a signed int, even with multi-TB filesystems.
>
> This PR may be related to this:
>
> 	http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/133980
> 	http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?20090508120355.S1497
>
> --
> Jaakko

Thanks for that pointer. I will look into getting Scott Burns fix
into the tree which should correct it. I will also ensure that
newfs scales back the number of inodes per cylinder group to
keep the total number under 2^32.

The long-term solution is to go to 64-bit inode numbers, but
that will have to wait for a major filesystem revision.

	Kirk McKusick