Upgrading OS and ZFS

Gary Corcoran gcorcoran at rcn.com
Thu Nov 26 18:34:09 UTC 2009

I have a server consisting of a mirrored pair of UFS disks containing the OS,
which is 7.0-CURRENT-200705, and a raidz zpool, with ZFS version 6.  I want
to upgrade the OS to 8.0-RELEASE, and upgrade the zpool.  Since I don't have
any important data on the OS disks, I plan to just do a fresh install of 8.0
on the UFS disk(s).  My concern is how to do the upgrades without losing any
zfs data.

I believe I just need to do the following steps.  Please advise if this
will safely do the zpool upgrade, or whether a different sequence of actions
is required to ensure I don't lose any ZFS data.

1. zpool export poolname
2. install FreeBSD 8.0
3. zpool import poolname
4. zpool upgrade poolname