ZFS versions [was: need help]

Panagiotis Christias p.christias at noc.ntua.gr
Mon Aug 24 20:09:42 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 02:33:54PM -0400, grarpamp wrote:
> FYI
> There are both zpool and zfs versions.
> They are independant. Though to fully enable some
> features both need upgraded. See zpool(1M), zfs(1M)
> and the ticket/psarc cases listed in the urls for more.
>
> The canonical references and utilities [read-only] are:
>
> http://opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/version/n/
>  zpool upgrade -v
>  zpool upgrade
> http://opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/version/zpl/n/
>  zfs upgrade -v
>  zfs upgrade
>
> The parameter setting method is not preferred.
>
> FreeBSD RELENG_7 and above are at:
> zpool 13
> zfs 3
>
> OpenSolaris is at:
> zpool 18
> zfs 4

Very useful information. http://wiki.freebsd.org/ZFS would be a good
place for it.

What I had in mind was the latest MFC regarding ZFS (pool) version 13
on May 20th (two weeks after the 7.2 release):

http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base?view=revision&revision=192498

And the corresponding entry in /usr/src/UPDATING:

"20090520:
        Update ZFS to version 13. ZFS users will need to re-build
        and install both kernel and world simultaneously in order
        for the ZFS tools to work. Existing pools will continue to work
        without upgrade. If a pool is upgraded it will no longer be
        usable by older kernel revs. ZFS send / recv between
        pool version 6 and pool version 13 is not supported."

Regargs,
Panagiotis

--
Panagiotis J. Christias    Network Management Center
P.Christias at noc.ntua.gr    National Technical Univ. of Athens, GREECE