It's 2008. 1 TB disk drives cost $160. Quotas are 32-bit.

Kris Kennaway kris at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jun 30 15:26:42 UTC 2008

John Kozubik wrote:

> [1] I am _very_ excited about ZFS on FreeBSD and amazed at the great work
> that pjd and others have put into it.  They have total freedom to pursue
> whatever they choose.  However, FreeBSD has a core team for a reason -
> direction and priorities need to be set and followed.

FreeBSD does indeed have a core team for several reasons, but directing
other developers to work on projects isn't among them.  Indeed, you say
as much in your previous sentence, but perhaps this is the cognitive
dissonance at the core of your misunderstanding.

Furthermore, every FreeBSD user has a different idea of what constitutes
the "core" of the operating system, for them.  quota support is
obviously in your core feature set.  That's fine, and I applaud you for
doing something about its deficiencies (although as I have already
noted, not your attitude in doing so).

However, quota support is not in the core feature set of most
developers, or dare I say most users.

Likewise, you may be surprised to hear what kind of "peripheral"
features other users and developers consider to be "core".  For me, ZFS
has become a core feature, even though to you it's merely a "shiny
bauble".  I am sure we can point to most systems in FreeBSD and find a
user somewhere who considers it to be an indispensible, "core feature".

Kris